Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the BEST zucchini bread I've ever made/eaten in my life! It stays delicious for several days too so it is a really great gift idea. You can also add in chocolate chips and/or nuts for extra goodness.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 10 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan or any other bread loaf pan that has a 10 cup capacity.
- Dust the pan with flour or fine dry bread crumbs and tap to shake out excess crumbs over paper.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon and set aside.
- Wash zucchini well under running water, and cut off both ends.
- Grate the zucchini. Do not drain. Press it firmly into a measuring cup. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs just to mix. Mix in the sugar oil ans vanilla.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients and stir to mix. It will be thick.
- Add the zucchini and mix thoroughly.
- If using, stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
- Turn into the prepared pan, smooth the top and bake.
- If one large pan, loaf will bake for about 1 hours and 45 minutes. If using smaller loaf pans, it will take slightly less time. Either way, bake until a cake tester comes out clean and dry.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then cover with a rack, turn over the rack and cake pan, remove the pan and turn over again, leaving the cake right side up.
I love Maida's recipes; she is the best baker ever so I can't really understand what went wrong here. This has a wonderful crackly top and at first bite tastes delicious but then there is a weird aftertaste which I have to assume was caused by the zucchini. Maybe it's just the zucchini I used or maybe it should be peeled but I did wash it well and actually took a bite of raw zucchini and that tasted fine. Next time I'd definitely peel the zucchini first, so sorry.