Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
I adore Maida Heatter's recipes -- I've never found a bad one yet. This is another superb one, perfect for early autumn enjoyment.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 2 eggs, graded large
- 2 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup oil (any tasteless vegetable oil)
- 2 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 8 ounces pitted dates, cut in large-ish chunks
- 1 cup walnuts, broken into pieces
- Butter a 10"x5" loaf pan and spritz with baking spray. Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat eggs just to mix. Add sugar and oil and beat lightly just to mix.
- Mix in the pumpkin puree and dates.
- Add sifted dry ingredients, and mix only until they are smoothly incorporated.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Turn into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake 1-1/2 hours. (If you use two smaller pans, bake 65-70 minutes.).
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert pan and let cake stand until cool. Cake is best if prepared the day before serving.