Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are delicious little "hors d'oeuvre" sandwiches. Not only do they taste good, but they look beautiful too! These are perfect to serve at a party, luncheon, etc.
- Take your bread slices and butter each of them on one side, and then put a thin layer of onions over the butter on 8 of the slices.
- Sprinkle a small amount of sea salt over the onions just to lightly season them, and then put the sandwiches together by topping with the remaining bread slices.
- Using a 1 3/4 inch round cookie cutter, cut out 2 small rounds from each sandwich, making 16 small sandwiches in all (discard trimmings, or use for whatever you wish).
- Spread some of the mayonnaise around the outside rim of each sandwich, and then roll the rims in your finely chopped parsley to coat completely.
- Serve these immediately, or cover and refrigerate (no more than) a few hours before serving.
Since I was making these onion sandwiches for my manly DH, I skipped the fussy steps of making miniature sandwiches, using whole slices of light wheat bread. Then I put a light layer of mayo, thin,thin,thin slices of vidalias, some fresh watercress and a tiny smear of Dijon on the other piece of bread. Wow...what a wonderful eating experience. I do heartily recommend that you have some parsley to munch after eating these sandwiches to take away any possibility of strong onion breath. It really works. Good post Angela for appetizers or for a lunch treat!