This recipe is different because it has the addition of sour cream which adds moistness and a little tang. The taste of these brownies improves overnight so, if possible, make the day before serving.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour (35 grams)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate or 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup toasted and chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans (50 grams) (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (8 grams)
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream (regular not low fat, 80 grams)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (113 grams)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven.
- Prepare an 8 by 8 by 2 inch (20 x 20 x 5 cm) pan by lining the pan with a piece of aluminum foil, shiny side up.
- Coat pan with room temperature butter, approximately 1 tablespoon (14 grams).
- Can also line across the bottom and up 2 opposite sides with parchment paper.
- In a bowl place the flour, baking powder, and salt and sift or whisk to combine.
- Set aside.
- Chop the chocolate in small pieces (can use a food processor) and set aside.
- In a small bowl beat the eggs, vanilla, and sour cream just to mix; set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the sugar and stir until sugar is partially melted.
- Then add the chocolate and stir until the chocolate has melted.
- Transfer to large mixing bowl.
- Stir in egg mixture, then the sifted dry ingredients.
- If the mixture is not perfectly smooth, beat it briefly with electric mixer (I use a hand mixer).
- Stir in nuts, if using.
- Pour into the baking pan and smooth top.
- Bake for about 50- 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost (but not completely) clean.
- Remove from oven and let stand at room temperature until cool.
- Note: These are best chilled overnight.
- Remove from pan by inverting on a cutting board and then re-inverting it onto a plate.
- Chill brownies completely before cutting.
- These freeze very well.