Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a loose meat sandwich that was, and still is, very popular in and around the Midwest, especially in Southern IL area.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs twice ground beef
- 1 teaspoon onion juice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) package hamburger buns
- ketchup (optional)
- onion (optional)
- cheese slice (optional)
- Crumble meat into skillet over medium heat cook until done and drain.
- Add onion juice and broth to meat. Cook, stirring constantly, until liquid evaporates.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve on warm hamburger buns with mustard and pickles.
Not the Maid-Rites I grew up on in Ohio. Rumor has it that the ground beef is steamed in beer....not chicken broth. I didn't care for these at all!