Prep 2 mins
Cook 6 mins
Maid-Rite is an 85-year old restaurant chain that produces its namesake sandwich in over 80 towns in the Midwest. Aficionados who grew up eating this loose-meat treat now live all over the world, far from a nearby restaurant. This Maid-Rite recipe can be made from scratch at home. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs lean hamburger (93% lean is preferred)
- 10 3⁄4 ounces Campbell's chicken gumbo soup
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard (or 1/2 tsp. bottled mustard)
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 8 hamburger buns
- 1 Brown and drain hamburger. Add diced onions and saute until they are translucent. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer a couple of minutes. Serve loosely on buns. Top with mustard, catsup, onions, dill pickles or your own favorite topping!
- 2 SERVING SUGGESTION: Provide each dining guest with a spoon, to scoop up all that tasty loose beef that spills out of the bun and onto the plate! Enjoy!