Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adopted Recipe! The Mai Tai Inspiration (Polynesian).
- 18 ladyfingers, split
- 2 (1/2 ounce) envelopes gelatin, unflavored
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice, drained from the canned
- to taste pineapple
- 5 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice, fresh
- 1⁄2 cup white rum
- 1 (12 ounce) can pineapple, crushed, well drained
- 5 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1⁄4 cup nuts, chopped, preferably macadamias
- Line sides and bottom of 9 inch spring form pan with the split ladyfingers.
- Soften gelatin in pineapple juice. Beat egg yolks in top of double boiler.
- Stir in sugar and salt. Blend in milk, cook over boiling water, stirring for 5 minutes or until well thickened.
- Blend in gelatin mixture, lime juice and rum.
- Add well drained pineapple. Chill until thickened but not set. Beat egg whites, gradually adding sugar.
- Fold pineapple custard and whipped cream into egg whites.
- Pour into spring form pan.
- Chill several hours or overnight. To serve, remove pan rim, sprinkle with nuts and add little puffs of whipped cream piped around the edge.