Recipe by love4culinary
This recipe is from the Mai-Kai Polynesian Restaurant. This restaurant is magnificent! Prep time is estimated and does not include time for marinating.
Top Review by Rita~
Angela, this was great! my DH hand fed me while I rolled out dough. I will most differently make these again when I can enjoy them in front of our outdoor fireplace with good friends and good drink, Nice and relaxed! Thanks for posting this recipe!
- 16 bamboo skewers, 12 inch
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 16 medium shrimp (size 21/25)
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 ounces fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 ounce honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving only the tail attached.
- Take 4 shrimp for each bamboo skewer and skewer through the the center of the tail and set aside.
- In a 12" flat pan mix the olive oil, basil and 2 teaspoon of chopped garlic.
- Add the shrimp to the olive oil, marinate, cover and place in cooler for at least one hour.
- For Aioli: Mix the mayonnaise, lemon juice, cilantro and honey in a small mixing bowl and keep cool until ready to serve.
- Light coals on grill until ready to cook.
- Take shrimp skewers out of marinade, lightly dry on paper towel and place on grill.
- Cook on each side 3-4 minutes or until pink.
- For each serving, place one lettuce leaf on a plate and put one grilled shrimp skewer on top of lettuce.
- Put 3 oz of cilantro aioli in a small ramekin and place next to the gripped shrimp for dipping and serve.