Recipe by annbb
A good friend of mine who is also an excellent cook served this elegant but very easy-to-make salad at a luncheon years ago. She shared her recipe and I've been using it with great success ever since. It is delicious and everyone who tries it loves it! It's a great brunch or luncheon entree and also is good on a buffet table. It's an easy recipe to double and if you're asked to bring a salad, it travels well and is easy to assemble. I always make extra dressing for the table.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn,washed and dried
- 2 chicken breast halves
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 1⁄4 ounces packagesmai fun rice noodles (Sai Fun bean noodles also works if you can't find Mai Fun)
- canola oil, for frying the mai fun noodles
- 3 -6 tablespoons sugar (to your taste, I use about 3 T.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil, not olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- The day before: Steam the chicken breasts until cooked through, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- While they are steaming, mix together the dressing ingredients (if you have a hand blender, emulsify them) and set aside.
- When chicken breasts halves are just cool enough to handle, shred them and place in a zip-loc bag.
- Pour dressing over the chicken.
- Press as much air as possible out of the bag and marinate overnight (in the refrigerator), turning over once or twice.
- Toast the almonds and sesame seeds in separate pans in a 300º oven until evenly browned.
- Stir them often and watch carefully as they both burn quickly.
- Cool and store in the refrigerator.
- The next day: In a small pot, heat 1 1/2- 2 inches oil until very hot.
- Drop in small amounts of Mai Fun noodles and watch them puff up!
- (takes about a second).
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels.
- Do this just before serving if at all possible.
- (If it's necessary to do ahead of time, let the puffed noodles cool completely and store in a ziploc bag or other air-tight container till ready to serve.) Put lettuce and scallions in a large bowl.
- Pour chicken and dressing over lettuce.
- Add oranges, almonds and sesame and toss to mix well.
- Top with Mai Fun noodles and serve.