Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
I'm not sure where this recipe originated; I've made it for my family for over 20 years. To me, it tastes like chocolate ice cream. Make it a mocha pound cake by adding 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules! Make the cake extra special by adding Fudgy Mocha Frosting W/Pecans--Or Hazelnut Coffee Frosting!. :) If Hershey's Special Dark dutch-processed cocoa is used, the cake will be a rich dark color! *Note: For a lighter, even more tender cake, separate the eggs; cream in the egg yolks with the butter and sugars; fold the stiffly beaten whites into the batter after the sour cream is added.
Top Review by breezermom
This cake tastes wonderful! I separated the eggs, and the cake was very light and airy....not like any pound cake I've made before. I did add the coffee, and found that it added just a hint of mocha flavor. And you are right....it does taste like chocolate ice cream! Thanks for sharing! Made for "For Your Consideration" tag game.
- 1 dash salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder (For a darker, richer-looking cake, use dutch-processed cocoa, PLUS 1/2 tsp cream of tartar)
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 6 large eggs, separated if desired
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules (Optional, if desired, for mocha flavor!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sift together salt, flour and cocoa.
- Cream together butter, both sugars, and eggs. (See Note* ).
- Add optional instant coffee granules for a mocha pound cake!
- Add vanilla.
- Combine sour cream and baking soda.
- Combine creamed mixture with dry ingredients and alternate with sour cream mixture.
- *Note: For a lighter, even more tender cake, separate the eggs; cream in the yolks with the butter and sugars; fold the stiffly beaten whites into the batter after the sour cream is added.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes. I cover the cake with foil paper for the last 20 minutes of baking.