1/4 Photos of Mahogany Pound Cake
1 hr 39 mins
1 hr 19 mins
I'm not sure where this recipe originated; I've made it for my family for over 20 years. To me, it tastes like chocolate ice cream. Make it a mocha pound cake by adding 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules! Make the cake extra special by adding Fudgy Mocha Frosting W/Pecans--Or Hazelnut Coffee Frosting!. :) If Hershey's Special Dark dutch-processed cocoa is used, the cake will be a rich dark color! *Note: For a lighter, even more tender cake, separate the eggs; cream in the egg yolks with the butter and sugars; fold the stiffly beaten whites into the batter after the sour cream is added.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 dash salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (For a darker, richer-looking cake, use dutch-processed cocoa, PLUS 1/2 tsp cream of tartar)
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 6 large eggs, separated if desired
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules (Optional, if desired, for mocha flavor!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1Preheat oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Sift together salt, flour and cocoa.
- 3Cream together butter, both sugars, and eggs. (See Note* ).
- 4Add optional instant coffee granules for a mocha pound cake!
- 5Add vanilla.
- 6Combine sour cream and baking soda.
- 7Combine creamed mixture with dry ingredients and alternate with sour cream mixture.
- 8*Note: For a lighter, even more tender cake, separate the eggs; cream in the yolks with the butter and sugars; fold the stiffly beaten whites into the batter after the sour cream is added.
- 9Pour into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- 10Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes. I cover the cake with foil paper for the last 20 minutes of baking.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mahogany Pound Cake
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.4
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 95.7 mg
- Sodium 154.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 34.6 g
- Protein 4.7 g