Recipe by Karen=^..^=
A delectable chocolate cake recipe passed down from my grandmother. Fill and frost with your favorite frosting.
Top Review by Marie
Excellent chocolate cake. Made it this weekend for our football guests and everyone loved it. Used a 9 x 13 pan because it is easier than handling layers. I don't like sweet frostings, so we just iced it with Cool Whip which went great with the cake. Thanks, Karen for sharing this very delicious recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook cocoa and 1/2 cup milk together until smooth and thick; cool and set aside.
- Cream shortening and add sugar slowly, beating well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately with 3/4 cup milk to creamed mixture.
- Add chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Bake in two greased 9 inch pans at 350* for about 20 minutes.
- Frost and fill as desired.