Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delectable chocolate cake recipe passed down from my grandmother. Fill and frost with your favorite frosting.
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Cook cocoa and 1/2 cup milk together until smooth and thick; cool and set aside.
- Cream shortening and add sugar slowly, beating well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately with 3/4 cup milk to creamed mixture.
- Add chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Bake in two greased 9 inch pans at 350* for about 20 minutes.
- Frost and fill as desired.
Excellent chocolate cake. Made it this weekend for our football guests and everyone loved it. Used a 9 x 13 pan because it is easier than handling layers. I don't like sweet frostings, so we just iced it with Cool Whip which went great with the cake. Thanks, Karen for sharing this very delicious recipe.