1/1 Photo of Mahogany Buttercrunch Toffee
A chocolate and nut soft toffee. The name does not do it justice, this confection will become a holiday tradition. Wrap large chunks in colored plastic wrap and tie with a ribbon for your gift baskets.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Place almonds on a cookie sheet and bake them for 5-10 minutes until golden.
- 3Watch carefully, they go from getting hot to dark brown in just a few seconds!
- 4Cool to room temperature.
- 5In a food processor pulse the almonds until they are finely chopped.
- 6Sprinkle half of the nuts over a 7 inch by 10 inch area of a greased baking sheet.
- 7Set aside.
- 8In a medium, heavy saucepan combine the brown sugar, water and butter.
- 9Have your baking soda and vanilla extract ready.
- 10Over medium heat bring the sugar mixture to boil.
- 11Stir occasionally to prevent burning until the mixture reaches 285 degrees F. (soft-crack stage).
- 12Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat as the temperature will rapidly rise.
- 13Immediately add the baking soda and vanilla extract.
- 14Pour this mixture over the nuts on your baking sheet.
- 15Quickly scatter the chocolate over the hot toffee.
- 16Press lightly so it starts melting.
- 17After about five minutes, the chocolate will be soft enough to spread with a long metal spatula in an even layer over the toffee.
- 18Spread the remaining chopped almonds over the melted chocolate.
- 19Cool completely and break into irregular pieces using a sharp knife.
- 20Store in an airtight container at room temperature for about one month.
- 21Makes one pound.
- 22Can be doubled.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mahogany Buttercrunch Toffee
Serving Size: 1 (54 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.6
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 88.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 17.5 g
- Protein 5.2 g