Recipe by Lakerdog2
From Everyday with Rachael Ray. I love the idea of the soft and the crunchy shells! Like a "double-decker" taco. Yum!
Top Review by Crispbrook
Delicious! Have made this recipe many times but have never reviewed it 'til now. I follow this recipe as written and my family and friends have always loved the results. One of our favorite summer time meals. Thanks Lakerdog2!
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, one quarter finely chopped, the remainder thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 limes, juice of, plus
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1⁄2 head red cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 (6 ounce) mahi mahi fillets
- 8 taco shells
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup creme fraiche or 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil, add jalepeno, chopped red onion and cook for 4 minutes. In a small bowl, mash black beans with the cumin and season with salt & pepper.
- In large bowl, combine honey, 2 tbsp oil, hot sauce and lime juice. Season with salt & pepper. Add sliced onion, cabbage and cilantro. Toss.
- Coat fish with remaining 1 tbsp oil and the lime peel, and grill over medium for 8 minutes, turning once.
- Warm taco shells and tortillas on the grill. Spread a few tbsp of the mashed beans on the outside of the taco, (stir in 1 to 2 tbsp hot water into beans if they are too thick) and wrap a tortilla around each one, pressing to ahere.
- Flake half a piece of fish into each taco shell and top with some cabbage slaw. Top with creme fraiche or sour cream.