Recipe by chefmopotts
Yes, another lentil soup recipe but this one looks really good. Compliments of Yankee Magazine. I am trying it soon. The recipe says to "Squeeze the lemons over the soup only after you've ladled it into the bowl. If the juice sits in the soup too long, or you reheat it, it ruins everything."
Top Review by Carianne
FABULOUS! I left out the pasta and added sour cream, and this was a really healthy and easy way for me to use up some ingredients that I had sitting around. Perfect for take-to-work lunch.
- 4 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried coriander
- 1 lb dry lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 8 cups water
- 2 -3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt (kosher or sea salt)
- 1 bunch swiss chard, stems removed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 lb vermicelli or 1⁄4 lb angel hair pasta, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 2 lemons
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, saute onions in 1/2 C oil until translucent.
- Add carrots and garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add coriander, stir well to coat vegetables, and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add lentils and stir well to coat.
- Add water to cover the ingredients by 3 inches (about 8 cups).
- Stir in cumin.
- Cook about 30 minutes, or until lentils are al dente (softened but not completely cooked).
- Season with approximately 1 Tbs. salt.
- Add Swiss chard and cook about 10 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of broth and whisk in flour, then whisk back into soup pot.
- In a saute pan over medium-high heat, cook pasta in 1 Tbs. oil until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add pasta to soup and cook about 8 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and squeeze about 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice over each serving. Serve with pita chips or unseasoned croutons.