Recipe by twissis
Just a few dys ago I entered a recipe by Irfan Orga from "Cooking the Middle East Way" & now I have found another that truly fascinates me. SusieQusie can testify that I have had a long love affair w/using pears in desserts. This dessert appears to be an easy-fix & is certainly a combo that would never occur to me on my most creative day! Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 lb macaroni (broken into very sml pieces, about 1 cup)
- 6 pears (ripe, peeled, cored & halved)
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups light cream
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel (freshly grated)
- 3⁄4 cup ground almonds
- 2 eggs (separated with yolks vigorously beaten with a whisk)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water for 10 minutes. Drain well of all liquid & return macaroni to saucepan.
- Add the milk & cream & simmer for 20 minutes. Remove pan from heat & allow mixture to cool slightly.
- Add sugar & stir till it is dissolved.
- Add butter, lemon peel, ground almonds & the beaten egg yolks. Stir well.
- Whip egg whites & fold them gently into the mixture.
- Pour half of the mixture into a buttered baking dish lrg enough to hold the pears in 1 layer.
- Arrange the pears on top & finish by layering the rest of the macaroni mixture atop the pears.
- Bake for 30 minutes & serve hot.