Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This dessert has been a family favorite for years. Even the name sounds good! I've forgotten where I found it. Try it with the orange sauce (recipe included here).
- 1 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
For Orange Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix flour, sugar, and spices well.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Stir in pecans.
- Press 2/3 of this into an 8" square pan.
- Combine boiling water and baking soda.
- Add molasses and mix thoroughly.
- Pour over mixture in pan.
- Sprinkle the rest of the crumbs on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Orange Sauce.
- Combine sugar, flour, constarch, and salt in a small saucepan.
- Add boiling water and butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and clear.
- Remove from heat.
- Add lemon and orange ingredients.
- Serve with Magnolia Manor Dessert.