Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This dessert was voted dessert of the month in Southern Living Magazine's March 2001 issue. It is made and served at Magnolias in Charlestown, South Carolina. There is a caramel sauce and chocolate sauce that is traditionally served over the brownie and then topped off with vanilla ice cream. Talk about decadent! You don't need to make both of the sauces to still have a great brownie.
- 4 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 4 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 6 large eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, chopped
- Microwave first 3 ingredients in a 1-quart glass bowl at HIGH 2 minutes or until melted, stirring once. Cool and set aside.
- Beat cream cheese and 1/4 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating well.
- Add 2 eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Fold in 2 tablespoons flour and 1/2 cup chocolate morsels; set aside.
- Beat remaining 4 eggs in a large bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer. Gradually add remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar, beating well. Add melted chocolate mixture and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract; beat mixture until well blended.
- Combine 1 cup flour, baking powder, and salt; fold into chocolate batter until blended, and stir in remaining 1 cup chocolate morsels.
- Reserve 3 cups chocolate batter; spread remaining batter evenly in a greased 13- x 9-inch pan. Pour cream cheese mixture over batter. Top with reserved 3 cups batter, and swirl mixture with a knife.
- Bake at 325° for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and cut brownies into squares.
- Caramel Sauce:.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; add sugar, and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Gradually add cream, vanilla, and salt, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Remove from heat.
- Yields 1 1/2 cups.
- Chocolate Sauce:.
- Bring cream to a boil in a heavy saucepan; remove from heat.
- Add chocolate, stirring until melts.
- Yields 1 3/4 cups.
- **Cook time is just for the brownies and does not include making either of the sauces.