1/49 Photos of Magnolia Bakery's Vanilla Birthday Cake and Frosting
These comments are from their cookbook: "At Magnolia we decided to make our cake not quite a traditional yellow cake or a traditional sponge cake, given the use of whole eggs in our recipe. We're sure you'll agree this recipe is moist, delicious and makes a beautiful layer cake or cupcakes for birthdays or any celebration. Frost with pink buttercream icing and lots of colored sprinkles as we do, and feel as though you're at your seventh birthday party all over again!"
My Private Note
3 layer ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups self rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Grease and lightly flour three 9 inch round cake pans, then line the bottoms with waxed paper.
- 3In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
- 4Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 5Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 6Combine the flours and add in four parts, alternating with the milk and the vanilla extract, beating well after each addition.
- 7Divide batter among the cake pans.
- 8Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- 9Let cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
- 10Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- 11If you're making cupcakes, line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- 12Spoon the batter into the cups about three-quarters full.
- 13Bake until the tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20 to 22 minutes.
- 14Remove cupcakes from pans and cool completely on a rack before icing.
- 15When cake has cooled, ice between the layers, then ice top and sides of cake.
- 16To make the icing - place the butter in a large mixing bowl.
- 17Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla.
- 18Beat until smooth and creamy.
- 19Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency (you may very well not need all of the sugar).
- 20If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly.
- 21Use and store icing at room temperature, as icing will set if chilled.
- 22Can store in an airtight container for up to three days.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Magnolia Bakery's Vanilla Birthday Cake and Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 645.4
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 110.7 mg
- Sodium 182.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 83.8 g
- Protein 4.7 g