Recipe by sugaree
Served at the famous cupcake bakery in NYC.
Top Review by heidinamba
I made this dessert for the first time about a month ago. I had been to Magnolia Bakery in New York a few months back and had the banana pudding. I usually would never order a banana dessert but have heard such rave reviews about it that I had to try it. I was impressed and knew that I had to attempt making it. I have the Magnolia Bakery cookbook at home so I found the right occassion to make it and I whipped it up! It turned out PERFECT. Absolutely wonderful and such a nice presentation. I like a subtle banana flavor and since the pudding part in this recipe is actually vanilla flavored and I didn't use super ripe bananas, it was very subtle. If you wanted a stronger banana flavor, you could use more bananas and make sure they are plenty ripe (but not banana bread ripe - like almost black). This dessert would be perfect for a picnic or barbeque. It's not a fancy gourmet dessert by any means but just a good old fashioned southern pudding. You must try to make this at least once. I think you will be impressed and hooked. I will definitely make it again. Oh, in my cookbook it says to let the pudding sit in the fridge from 4-8 hours after assembling it. It says "no more than 8 hours". I let mine sit for 3 hours and it was fine and I've heard of people letting it sit for 12 hours and it was fine as well. Make sure you use a clear bowl if you have it because it's fun to see the layers of the pudding.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 (12 ounce) box vanilla wafers
- 4 bananas, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend the water, pudding mix and sweetened condensed milk until will mixed.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold the pudding mixture into the whipped cream until well incorporated.
- In a trifle bowl layer wafers, sliced bananas then pudding mixture. Continue until all of the mixture is used up ending with the pudding mixture.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- **Cooking time is refrigeration time.