Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
The exact recipe to make the famous Magnolia's Bakery, New York, "Vanilla Vanilla Cupcake" including the frosting. Mant measurement online are american measurements, here they are converted to UK metric measurements. All I can say now is ENJOY!
FOR 1 DOZEN CUPCAKES
- 168 g self-rising flour
- 140 g all-purpose flour
- 112 g unsalted butter, softened
- 224 g sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 125 ml milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Line one 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing. Ice the cupcakes with either Vanilla Buttercream or Chocolate Buttercream.
- NOTE: Take your time to make your cupcakes rather than rushing them and you will have the perfect cupcake. After 15 minutes, if your oven cooks slightly unevenly, rotate the muffin tin to ensure one lot aren't burnt and the others aren't undercooked.