Recipe by I love cake cake cake
The exact recipe to make the famous Magnolia's Bakery, New York, "Vanilla Vanilla Cupcake" including the frosting. Mant measurement online are american measurements, here they are converted to UK metric measurements. All I can say now is ENJOY!
Top Tweak by Frances C.
Double the milk!!!!! I think there has been an error in translating this recipe to uk measurements. All is perfect except you need 250mls of milk, not 125. I've made it three times now (with enough of a break between each time to forget how it turned out) and its been too dry. The original is more moist. I checked both recipes and the milk is the culprit. Other than that, thank you for posting this translated recipe, it makes it a lot easier if you're not used to cups etc. Delicious cake!
FOR 1 DOZEN CUPCAKES
- 168 g self-rising flour
- 140 g all-purpose flour
- 112 g unsalted butter, softened
- 224 g sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 125 ml milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Line one 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing. Ice the cupcakes with either Vanilla Buttercream or Chocolate Buttercream.
- NOTE: Take your time to make your cupcakes rather than rushing them and you will have the perfect cupcake. After 15 minutes, if your oven cooks slightly unevenly, rotate the muffin tin to ensure one lot aren't burnt and the others aren't undercooked.