Recipe by Marie
Another of Magnolia Bakery's wonderful recipes. The club soda makes for a very tender cake.
Top Review by mara.c.steinhaus
This cake can be five stars with two alterations. I know, because I had to bake it twice after the first one completely stuck in the pan (I still tasted it, but couldn't use it for the occasion). First, omit half a cup of sugar, bringing the total down to 2.5 cups. It's plenty sweet and the extra sugar contributed to it sticking in the pan the first time. Second, replace 1/2 T of the vanilla extract with almond extract. This gives it a deeper flavor profile. With these changes, this makes a moist, delicious bundt cake! I added a lemon glaze to mine--otherwise the taste and look is slightly plain.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup club soda (not seltzer)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and lightly flour a 10" Bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and the sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the flour in thirds, alternating with the club soda, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and the lemon zest and mix well.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake 70-80 minutes until golden brown or a cake tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan for 20 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.