Recipe by Annacia
These brownies have a whisper of Hawaii with its signature creamy macadamia nuts and the gentle bite of pineapple to counteract the heaviness of the cream cheese. These brownies are sure to be the hit.
Top Review by Dominick & Amanda
Annacia, these brownies are so rich and flavorful. The pineapple adds a great flavor and so do the macadamia nuts. I didn't end up adding the coffee (even though I had it ready) because by the time I realized it wasn't listed in the directions everything was already put together. I would love to see how they come out with the addition of the coffee. Also, I used a 13x9-inch pan because I couldn't find my 8-inch square pan. I don't recommend doing this because the layers aren't as defined as they would be in a smaller pan. Great recipe though! Next time I will add the coffee ;)
Ingredients For Cream Cheese Filling
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
Ingredients For Brownies
- 6 ounces sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons coffee, brewed strong
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream Cheese Filling:.
- In a medium size bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter together until light and fluffy. Add the sugar into this gradually and beat until the sugar is well incorporated.
- Beat in the egg then mix in the flour, pineapple and vanilla.
- Set mixture aside.
- Directions For Brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly butter an 8-inch square nonstick baking pan.
- In a heavy, small sauce pan, heat together the baking chocolate and butter over low heat until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar until they are slightly thickened. This should take 2 minutes.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder and salt then add the chocolate-butter mixture and the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Stir in chocolate chips and macadamia nuts. Pour about 1 1/4 cups of the chocolate batter in the prepared pan then use a rubber spatula to spread the cream cheese mixture over chocolate batter.
- Take a large spoon and gently place the remaining chocolate batter over top of cream cheese mixture.
- Using the pointed tip of a knife, gently make swirls by making large S shapes for a marbled design through the batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tester toothpick inserted into center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached. Remove the pan from the oven, place on a rack, and allow to cool.
- When cool to the touch, take a sharp knife and cut them into squares.