Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
I have tried a lot of meatloaf recipes attemtping to please EVERYONE in my picky family. I have finally succeeded. I think it is the sauteed onions that make the difference, adding another layer of flavor.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 -5 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, cook onion for 5 to 7 minutes until softened.
- In a large bowl mix together the meat, egg, salt and pepper, in another bowl stir together the ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco, Add this mixture, the cooked onion and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs to the meat mixture, Pat the mixture into an 8X4 loaf pan.
- Cover the pan and refrigerate for one hour to allow the flavors to blend.
- Preheat the oven to 350, Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until cooked through, Let the meatloaf stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- *NOTE: I like to serve this with "Peas and Pasta" which I will post a recipe for. We like to put it over a slice of meatloaf. Also, if you prefer a mixture of veal, beef and pork, it works just fine, I use either.
Awesome meatloaf! Such a great mix of flavors! My company raved and raved!
It was the best ever! We used the left overs and made meatloaf sandwhiches with pepperjack chz melted on top it was just as good as when it was fresh out the oven.