Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Good size meatballs wrapped in crisp bacon with a distinctive sour cream and tomato sauce.
Make and share this Magnificent Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
- Mix together the beef and 2 cups of tomatoes, bread crumbs, eggs, salt, pepper, oregano, and onion. Form into 24 good size meatballs. wrap each meatball with a bacon slice overlapping bacon carefully.
- Place the meatballs in a large flat baking dish so that the over lapping bacon is on bottom.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp.
- Remove from oven and pour off the fat.
- Combine the sour cream and the remaining 2 cups of tomatoes.
- Pour over the meatballs and return to the oven. Turn off the heat. Serve with rice once the sauce is hot.
I cut this recipe in half; since my husband and I were the only ones eating it. I got 12 of the largest meatballs I've ever seen. I baked these in a glass baking dish, but next time, I'm going to space them apart on a baking sheet, as some of the bacon never crisped up very well. I added 2 cloves of chopped garlic, and made the oregano a heaping tablespoon. I liked the sauce. Sometimes I find tomato sauce a little too acidic, and this smoothed it out nicely.
I got about 36 very large meatballs out of this. I used fat free sour cream and turkey bacon to help make it more "legal". What a wonderful recipe. The sauce was outstanding. I actually sauced half, froze the other half without sauce, and served those a couple of days later with brown gravy. My husband actually requested meatballs in his lunch the day after I first made these. Definitely will be making again and again.