Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Note: COOKING TIME IS MACHINE TIME, does not include time in freezer. Having six mango trees within arms reach on our property, I'm a fanatic for mango recipes. The coconut rum give it that Caribbean feel! We've tried so many mango ice cream recipes, including some really good ones. But one thing I've found is that the mouthfeel of all the heavy cream was a bit gross. Here is a recipe that combines and tweaks some of my favorites, and uses a bit of sweetened condensed milk instead of cream for that "just right" amount of creamy mouthfeel. This is a rich and creamy ice cream, and I think you'll find it VERY pleasing! If you're alcohol-free, you can omit the rum but after a few days the ice cream may be hard.
- 3 cups ripe mangoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar (may need 3 depending on sweetness of mango)
- 7 ounces sweetened condensed milk (1/2 can)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons coconut rum or 2 teaspoons vodka
- Place mangoes and sugar in blender and process until smooth.
- Add milks, lime juice and coconut rum or vodka to the container and blend until thoroughly combined.
- Adjust sugar to taste, it should be fairly sweet.
- Pour into ice cream freezer and process per manufacturers directions. My Cuisinart takes 30 minutes.
- Place ice cream in a sealable container and put in freezer for at least three hours before serving.
- This is really good with a number of different add-ins. Try any of the following: mini chocolate chips, vanilla chips, sweetened shredded coconut, chopped candied ginger or orange peel.
Fabulous ice cream! I found some really nice mangoes at the supermarket the other day, and this was the perfect use for them. Oftentimes, commercial mango ice cream doesn't really taste like mango at all, but the mango flavor shines here. After 3 hours in the freezer, my ice cream was still pretty soft, but it was still lovely with some chopped fresh mango. This is definitely a keeper, thanks for posting! Made for The Hot Pink Panthers on the Prowl for ZWT9
This is definitely a 'soft-set' ice cream, which I really love. I purchased my mangoes a few days ago and allowed them to get soft and very ripe and aromatic. The flavour shone in this delicious ice. Added malibu rum for some extra zip and topped with a little toasted coconut. Wonderful!