Recipe by Mallina Cashew
This recipe was part of what helped me win a cooking competition at school against 7 other people. I got it out of an excellent appetizer book and continue to make it!! Excellent served with any meal. (VEGETARIANS CAN SUBSTITUTE VEGETABLE STOCK FOR CHICKEN STOCK)
Top Review by elsie(across the pond) morgan
No wonder you got first prize; this really is the business, Mallina. I think the secret is adding the stock little by little. Thank you,this will be a regular..
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron thread (could do without, but adds colour and flavour)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups risotto rice (could also use short grain sticky rice)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring stock to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer.
- Ladle a little stock into a small bowl; add the saffron threads and let infuse.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large sauce pan until foaming.
- Add onions, stirring frequently, and cook for 2 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Cook only until softened, not brown.
- Add the rice and stir until the grains start to swell and burst; then add a few ladles of stock, saffron liquid, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir over low heat until liquid has beed absorbed.
- Keep adding stock, letting the rice absorb the liquid before adding more.
- STIR CONSTANTLY Test frequently just for the hell of it!
- After about 20-25 minutes, the rice should be just tender and the risoto golden and creamy.
- Take off heat and add 2/3 cup parmesan cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon butter, mixing until butter has melted.
- Season to taste.
- Transfer to serving plates and serve hot.
- Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese.