This recipe was part of what helped me win a cooking competition at school against 7 other people. I got it out of an excellent appetizer book and continue to make it!! Excellent served with any meal. (VEGETARIANS CAN SUBSTITUTE VEGETABLE STOCK FOR CHICKEN STOCK)
- Bring stock to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer.
- Ladle a little stock into a small bowl; add the saffron threads and let infuse.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large sauce pan until foaming.
- Add onions, stirring frequently, and cook for 2 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Cook only until softened, not brown.
- Add the rice and stir until the grains start to swell and burst; then add a few ladles of stock, saffron liquid, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir over low heat until liquid has beed absorbed.
- Keep adding stock, letting the rice absorb the liquid before adding more.
- STIR CONSTANTLY Test frequently just for the hell of it!
- After about 20-25 minutes, the rice should be just tender and the risoto golden and creamy.
- Take off heat and add 2/3 cup parmesan cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon butter, mixing until butter has melted.
- Season to taste.
- Transfer to serving plates and serve hot.
- Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese.