Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a Hungarian version of bread and butter pudding. It is delicious!
- 1 kg Red Delicious apple, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon butter
- water, to cover the apple
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 bread rolls
- 1 liter milk
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- caster sugar
- 150 g sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 100 g crushed walnuts
- 100 g sugar, extra
- 3 -4 tablespoons apricot jam
- 50 -60 g butter, extra
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Grease an ovenproof dish using 60 g butter and breadcrumbs.
- Boil apples in water, teaspoon of butter and lemon juice.
- Slice the bread rolls and mix with the milk, the egg yolks, vanilla sugar and caster sugar.
- Place half in the greased ovenproof dish.
- Place apple mixture on the top and sprinkle with 150g sugar, cinnamon and walnuts.
- Put the other half on top and place small dollops of butter on mixture.
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Beat the egg whites with 100 g sugar and the apricot jam, and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Spread egg white mixture on top of pudding (after baking) and bake for a few minutes more, until egg whites change to a pink colour.