Here's a way to transform a roasting chicken into an exotic feast. Gild it with spices like ginger, parsley, turmeric and cinnamon and surround it with a redolent chicken-onion-raisin mixture. A one-dish delight (and what an aroma)! The long preparation time is due to the overnight soaking method of the chickpeas, as well as the long, slow cooking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried garbanzo beans (about 1 lb.)
- cold water
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 (2 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1Day before, pick over chickpeas and turn into a large bowl; cover with cold water; refrigerate, covered, overnight. Next day, drain chickpeas; turn into a large kettle. Add 2 quarts cold water, 2 t. salt, the quartered onion and bay leaf. Bring to boiling and reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until tender; drain; set aside. Remove and discard onion and bay leaf.
- 2Meanwhile, rinse chicken well; dry with paper towels. Sprinkle inside with 1 t. salt. Tuck w ings under body; then tie legs together at ends with twine. If necessary, fasten skin at neck with a skewer.
- 3In a small bowl, combine garlic, ginger, 1/2 t. salt, the pepper and 1 T. water; mix well. Brush mixture over entire surface of chicken. Refrigerate chicken in large bowl, covered with plastic wrap or foil, one hour.
- 4In 6-quart Dutch oven, combine chopped onion, turmeric, chopped parsley, cinnamon stick, butter and chicken broth. Over medium heat, bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Lower heat; then add chicken, breast side down, and any juices left in bottom of the bowl.
- 5simmer, covered, 1 hour, or until chicken is tender. (Turn chicken frequently in the sauce, using two wooden spoons.) Remove cooked chicken to warm serving platter. Discard cinnamon stick.
- 6To liquid left in Dutch oven, add slice onion, raisins and drained chickpeas. Bring to boiling; cook, stirring frequently with wooden spoon, until onion is soft and flavors have blended - about 15 minutes.
- 7Before serving, remove twine. Reheat chicken in chickpea mixture for 5 minutes. Serve chicken and chickpeas together.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Magical Moroccan Chicken and Chickpeas
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 758.8
- Calories from Fat 382
- Total Fat 42.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 173.7 mg
- Sodium 458.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 51.3 g