Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Here's a way to transform a roasting chicken into an exotic feast. Gild it with spices like ginger, parsley, turmeric and cinnamon and surround it with a redolent chicken-onion-raisin mixture. A one-dish delight (and what an aroma)! The long preparation time is due to the overnight soaking method of the chickpeas, as well as the long, slow cooking time.
- 2 cups dried garbanzo beans (about 1 lb.)
- cold water
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 (2 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Day before, pick over chickpeas and turn into a large bowl; cover with cold water; refrigerate, covered, overnight. Next day, drain chickpeas; turn into a large kettle. Add 2 quarts cold water, 2 t. salt, the quartered onion and bay leaf. Bring to boiling and reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until tender; drain; set aside. Remove and discard onion and bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, rinse chicken well; dry with paper towels. Sprinkle inside with 1 t. salt. Tuck w ings under body; then tie legs together at ends with twine. If necessary, fasten skin at neck with a skewer.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, ginger, 1/2 t. salt, the pepper and 1 T. water; mix well. Brush mixture over entire surface of chicken. Refrigerate chicken in large bowl, covered with plastic wrap or foil, one hour.
- In 6-quart Dutch oven, combine chopped onion, turmeric, chopped parsley, cinnamon stick, butter and chicken broth. Over medium heat, bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Lower heat; then add chicken, breast side down, and any juices left in bottom of the bowl.
- simmer, covered, 1 hour, or until chicken is tender. (Turn chicken frequently in the sauce, using two wooden spoons.) Remove cooked chicken to warm serving platter. Discard cinnamon stick.
- To liquid left in Dutch oven, add slice onion, raisins and drained chickpeas. Bring to boiling; cook, stirring frequently with wooden spoon, until onion is soft and flavors have blended - about 15 minutes.
- Before serving, remove twine. Reheat chicken in chickpea mixture for 5 minutes. Serve chicken and chickpeas together.