Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This bread goes well with a wide variety of menus. A word of caution though: Make sure teenage males come at the end of the buffet line when serving this bread, for they seem to inhale it. In fact, you may want to make two loaves, doubling what would be a normal portion, for this always disappears!
- 1 large unsliced loaf French bread (large size loaf..not the small bagette)
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Trim all the crust from the bread except the bottom crust.
- Slice down the center of the loaf lengthwise being careful not to cut through the bottom crust.
- Then cut across the bread in 1/2" slices, again being careful not to cut through the bottom crust.
- Melt butter, add paprika, garlic and poppy seeds.
- Using a pastry brush, brush butter mixture onto sides and top of bread.
- Wrap bread in foil until ready to bake.
- When ready to bake, roll foil down sides of bread to form a pan.
- Bake in preheated oven 400F for 15 minutes.
This is one good garlic bread. My son ate almost 1/4 of the loaf. I did cut the french bread only in half length and left on the crust (because that is my favorite part!) and used only 1/2 cup margarine and added a little more garlic. It was simple and easy and had such a good taste to it! Thanks for the recipe!
I used a half loaf of french bread, and half the other ingredients to make this for just the two of us. It was so good, we gobbled the entire thing! I left the crust on the bread; no need to waste it. The instructions are very well-written to explain the preparation process.
I made this with dinner and I left the crust on and did not add poppy seeds, I couldn't find any. This bread had great flavor and so easy. I will be making this again. Thanks!