Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From favfamilyrecipes.com with this header: If you are trying to drop a few pounds after the holidays, or for an upcoming event, you have got to try this Weight Loss Magic Soup! It is a combination of a couple of weight loss soup recipes that have been around for years – Weight Watchers Garden Vegetable Soup and the Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe. The addition of a can of kidney beans adds fiber and protein which helps with feeling fuller for a longer period of time. Feel free to add or subtract vegetables to your taste. The benefit of this soup is that it tastes great and it really does help you lose weight. The magic is that the more you eat – the more weight you lose! Eat a bowl of soup for lunch, an afternoon snack, and for dinner with some whole grain crackers or toast and you will see some serious weight loss fast! Each cup of soup has only 57 calories. It is a great way to get your vegetables in for the day and is very satisfying. This recipe makes about 20 cups of soup. It lasts in the fridge up to a week, and it freezes well.
- 29 ounces chicken broth
- 3 cups vegetable juice (V-8)
- 29 ounces Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 2 cups green beans (fresh or frozen)
- 14 1⁄2 kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 -4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- In a large frying pan sprayed with cooking spray, sauté garlic, onions, carrots, and mushrooms for about 5 minutes. In a large crockpot, combine sautéed garlic and vegetables with the remaining ingredients. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until vegetables are cooked.
- This makes a large batch of soup. If you would like to freeze portions of it to use later, undercook the vegetables just a little. Pour the soup into freezer Ziplock bags and let as much air out as you can. Lay the bags flat on a cookie sheet and freeze. Once the soup is frozen flat, it is easy to layer in your freezer and won't take up much room. To unthaw, place the bag in the fridge for 24 hours and then reheat.
This soup is very good and very filling. I added a pound of lean hamburger for more protein. It does make a HUGE pot of soup, so make sure you have freezer bags when you make it.