Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 min
No ice cream machine? No problem not necessary for this recipe. From Cook's Country-Aug. 2011. I made yesterday and it is delicious, but next time I will increase the strawberries from 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups so changed it here. I also wonder what would happen if you left a few berries chunky? The texture is good and color is a nice pink. The vodka idea is intriguing--"to prevent the strawberry solids from icing up" is what the article says-and it works! If you plan to store the ice cream for more than a few days, place plastic wrap directly on its surface. Mine froze very hard so next time, I am going to set it in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving to see if it softens a bit. Raspberries might be good too?
- Chill mixing bowl and beater/whisk in freezer.
- Process strawberries in food processor until smooth, about 30 seconds (puree should measure 3/4 cup).
- Microwave sweetened condensed milk, white chocolate chips, and vodka in large bowl until chocolate melts, about 1 minute, whisking halfway through cooking.
- Whisk in strawberry puree, vanilla, and salt.
- Using stand mixer fitted with whisk, whip cream on medium low speed until foamy, about 1 minute.
- Increase speed to high and whip until soft peaks form, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk one-third of whipped cream intro strawberry mixture, then gently fold in remaining whipped cream, 1 scoop at a time, until combined.
- Freeze in airtight container until firm, 6 hours or up to 2 weeks.
I've made a bunch of different strawberry ice cream recipes and the strawberries end up making them icy. This recipe works like a charm and there's so little vodka I don't mind serving it to my toddler. It tastes just like real ice cream with the same texture. Sometimes I put it into Popsicle molds for a new treat. It's nice to not have to cook up a custard on hot summer days and you don't need an ice cream mixer. Best strawberry recipe ever!
Made this for my son, DIL & myself since my other half is in AA (so bought a small container of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food to keep the peace)! Anyway, your ice cream is wonderfully tasty, & we had no trouble at all eating most of it at one sitting! Very, very nice! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]