1/3 Photos of Magic Soup
3 hrs 30 mins
Queen of Everything's Note:
I don't know what it is...this soup cures what ails ya. A recipe for Authentic Jewish Penicillin (chicken soup) tweaked by a sympathetic goy. I make a big pot of this when cold & flu season hits and freeze small containers to reheat whenever one of us feels the bug coming on. I pureed this for my baby last winter and he loved it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place chicken in pot, cover with cold, good-tasting water.
- 2Rough chop 1 onion (including skin), 1 parsnip, 1 turnip, 2 carrots and add to stock pot.
- 3Add garlic, ginger and salt& pepper.
- 4Bring all ingredients to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- 5Simmer stock for at least 2 hours, skimming any scum that rises to the top.
- 6The longer you cook this, the better it tastes.
- 7You can make the stock in a crockpot for 6-8 hours on low.
- 8Remove vegetables and discard.
- 9Remove chicken and debone.
- 10Strain stock and taste for seasoning.
- 11Add salt as necessary.
- 12Chop remaining parsnip, turnip, onion, and carrots into bite-size chunks and drop into simmering stock.
- 13Replace deboned chicken.
- 14You can reserve some for another recipe, but I usually use all of it.
- 15Add egg noodles.
- 16Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until egg noodles are tender.
- 17Add dill and parsley at the very end of the cooking process.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Magic Soup
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.4
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 71.7 mg
- Sodium 99.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 20.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: