Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A happy, healthy summer slaw made with a lemon and poppy-seed dressing! And don't forget to sweeten it up with delicious agave nectar! Great addition to any BBQ or potluck lunch. I've taken it to a few dinner parties and also to large get togethers. It's loved wherever it lands. Cook time is chill time.
- 1⁄2 small head of cabbage, shredded small
- 1 cup pineapple, chopped into small slivers
- 2 tablespoons onions, sliced into small thin slivers
- 1 fresh lemon, juice of
- 1⁄3 cup coconut oil, I use Spectrum Organic
- 1 teaspoon vinegar, I use Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup agave nectar, I use Madhava
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise, I use Blue Plate
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, I use Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, fresh ground to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon basil (optional)
- Chop cabbage: I cut my half head in half again. And then I cut each quarter into 1-inch strips. These are what I shred by cutting in 1/8 inch slices with a big knife. Makes for easy eating. Place in a large mixing bowl and break up any big pieces with your hands.
- Cut up pineapple: I do something similar with the pineapple. What you are looking for are 1/2 inch slivers a bit bigger around than matchsticks. Add into the bowl with the cabbage and give it mix again. I use my hands (which are sterile) to let the flavors begin to blend right away.
- Chop onion into small thin slivers (no longer than 1/2 inch) and mix in with the cabbage and pineapple. Put a lid on this and put aside.
- Note: Make sure your coconut oil is in liquid form. If it is firm, heat slightly.
- Make dressing: Squeeze lemon juice into medium bowl. Whisk together with all remaining ingredients except mayonnaise and lemon basil.
- Taste for a nice sweet & sour balance. Add more vinegar or agave as needed to get a good blend and balance.
- Now whisk in your mayonnaise. Make sure you get it smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage, pineapple, and onions. Mix thoroughly.
- At this point I always add a bit more mayonnaise and blend it inches I don't know why. I just love mayonnaise. :).
- If you like basil, here is where you add it. The lemon basil makes such a nice addition but is not necessary to the outcome really. I do NOT chop with a knife. I tear the basil into small bits and gently blend into the slaw.
- Now place your slaw (after you test it one more time, ha ha) in a pretty serving bowl, cover and place in the fridge and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Serve to family and friends and enjoy your magic!