Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this from a business associate of DH who was raised in Canada. This is her Nana's recipe. A little different that the other Nanaimo bars on the 'zaar because it uses condensed milk. There is no baking envolved. Chill time is cook time.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, do not use margarine
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup coconut, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 14 ounces condensed milk
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 1⁄3 cup melted semisweet chocolate morsel
- In a saucepan melt the butter.
- Stir in brown sugar, cocoa, egg, graham cracker crumbs, coconut and nuts.
- Press into bottom of a 9x9 pan.
- Combine condensed milk and lemon juice.
- Mix together until well blended.
- Spread onto cookie base evenly.
- Drizzle with melted semi sweet morsels.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
Oh boy was I happy to see this recipte, I haven't made these little goodies for over 25yrs, yeap thats right.....I had gotten the recipe from the back of a can of Eagle Brand condensed milk, but somehow down the line I lost the recipe when I moved back to Portugal.This is a great recipe that the kids can help out making them. The kids and the adults just love this. I love the lemony contrast with the chocolate Ummmmmmmm,I'm going to get started on mine this afternoon.
Thanks for brings back this old but wonderful recipe, its sure brings me back some LOVELY memories...........