Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup original Malt-o-Meal original hot cereal, dry
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Stir together until all ingredients are moistened.
- Pour batter into greased or paper-lined muffin pans,filling cups 3/4 full.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until center is firm to the touch.
I also like to make these with the chocolate malt-o-meal & add chocolate chips. Big hit with my daughter & husband!
Today at the supermarket I experienced another nostalgic episode when I spotted a box of 'Malt-o-Meal' on the shelf. Bought a box, came home and baked a half batch. (I replaced half of the granulated sugar with brown sugar.) So good-it reminded me of a cross between a muffin and cupcake! Put a smile on our faces that's for sure. I liked mine with a little butter spread on top and ~Tasty Dish~ enjoyed hers with a slather of PB. I lightly sprinkled the top with some of the dry cereal for extra bit of crunch. Super easy to make, too! Thanks for posting! PS I think subbing chocolate flavored Malt-o-Meal is a great idea.
Was about to submit the same recipe when I found yours! These are really great muffins!