Recipe by Chef Lucy Jo
A few weeks ago, I decided I was tired of regular meat sauce with my pasta, and frozen meatballs just didn't seem to do the trick. These meatballs were a sort of experiment the first time, but my brother and I loved them so much, I make them with spaghetti once a week.
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons sweet basil
- 2 tablespoons white onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large, shallow bowl, mix, by hand, the ground beef and ground sausage.
- Add the beaten egg and continue to mix thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, combine quick-oats, oregano, basil, onion, and garlic.
- Add the oat mixture to the meat and continue to mix.
- When these ingredients are thoroughly mixed, knead the meat until it is soft and pliable.
- Separate into amounts about the size of ping-pong balls. Roll each ball between your palms and place in rows in a 13x9-inch glass baking dish.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, uncover dish, carefully drain grease from the dish, then pour sauce over meatballs. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese if desired. Cover and return to oven.
- Bake for an additional 30 minutes. After baking, let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve over cooked spaghetti or other pasta of your choice, or serve on Italian bread.