Recipe by jv0183
This chocolate cake might be the easiest cake in the world to make and is the most versatile as well. No eggs or dairy make it cholesterol- and cruelty-free.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
Creamy Smooth Chocolate Frosting
- 2 -3 tablespoons dairy-free margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -4 tablespoons water or 2 -4 tablespoons non-dairy milk substitute
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl until mixed thoroughly.
- Make a well in the center and add wet ingredients, with exeption of the vinegar.
- Stir until well mixed; then stir in vinegar until well blended.
- Pour into a 9x9 inch baking dish (or cupcake or bundt pan), and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes Tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean when done.
- For the frosting: Cream the butter in a small bowl.
- Add sugar, cocoa, vanilla, and enough water or non-dairy milk to make a thick, but spreadable frosting.
- Cool completely, then spread on the frosting.