Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband's recipe for fajitas, based on a recipe found in a Mexican cookbook by Jane Milton and his own experimentation. The inclusion of cinnamon is what to me gives these fajitas such a great flavor! Serve with your favorite accompaniments along with rice and beans and a strong margarita!
- 3⁄4-1 lb chicken or 3⁄4-1 lb steak or 3⁄4-1 lb shrimp, cut in strips against grain
- oil (enough to coat meat)
- 1 (5 g) packet Sazon Goya seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 -3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 -2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- lime juice (just enough to coat meat)
- 1 dash tequila
- 1⁄2 red onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 red pepper, sliced
- flour tortillas or corn tortilla
- Cut meat in strips (against the grain) and place in medium sized freezer bag.
- Drizzle enough oil over the meat to coat and shake bag.
- Add all all seasonings to bag, shake to coat meat.
- Add enough lime juice to coat meat, plus dash of tequila.
- Marinade (ideal time for steak or chicken-- 1 1/2 -2 hours, shrimp-- no more than 30 minutes).
- Heat cast iron skillet on medium-high until smoking, add approximately 1/4 of the meat plus onion and peppers and sear for approximately 3-5 minutes. If cooking just chicken or shrimp, you may need to add a small amount of oil (1 tsp). Do not overcrowd the skillet or you will not achieve a good sear.
- Continue cooking the rest of the fajitas in small batches. Serve with tortillas and accompaniments.
I'm going to make this tonight. The ingredients are " right on". Thanks! Chef BeBe
Made for My 3 Chefs June 2012 tag game and this was a great choice. I used steak for the meat and added a few mushrooms that I had left but otherwise followed the instructions. I did marinate the meat for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. DH could only go yummmm. Going into my Favorites of 2012. Thank you for posting. Next time I will try the recipe with chicken or shrimp.