Recipe by BrandiRose
This old fashioned cookie comes from the recipe box of my great grandma. They get their name from the fact that they are rectangular and colorful, resembling a magic carpet. She always made them with brightly colored icing as the filling but thay are just as good with jam (or a little of both!). I have also filled them with Nutella before and they turned out fantastic.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla or 1 tablespoon almond flavoring
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup jam (or Nutella) or 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup icing (or Nutella)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Mix butter, sugar, egg and flavoring until creamy. Measure flour by sifting. Mix dry ingredients. Blend into butter mixture.
- Divide dough in half, reserve for trim. Roll remaining dough in 2 (12x6-inch) rectangles on a well-floured or cloth covered board. Cut each rectangle lengthwise in 3 equal strips. With a spatula, carefully lift each strip to a parchment lined baking sheet, placing 1 inch apart.
- Spoon reserved dough into a cookie press. Work in 2 teaspoons cream if it is too dry. Using the smallest star design, press out long ropes on each side of strip, and also 1 down center, pressing down slightly to seal. If you do not have a cookie press, you can roll long, thin ropes instead. Bake about 10 minutes, or until edges are delicately browned.
- Cool. Fill in the rows of trim with jelly or icing. Carefully cut 1-inch diagonal pieces with a sharp knife.