Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is originally from Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It has an extra fudgy flavor and gooey texture.
- 13 tablespoons butter
- 6 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour or 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted*
- Grease 13 x 9 baking pan; set aside.
- In a heavy small saucepan, heat the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes, or until lemon colored and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Add cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla. Beat on low speed until combined.
- Add four mixture. Beat on low speed until combined,scraping sides of bowl. Stir in walnuts*.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake in 325 oven for 30 minutes or until brownies are set.
- Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 15 brownies.
- *I substituted 1 cup chocolate chips.
These tasted really good! I left out the nuts. The temperature and time didn't work out for me. I ended up having to bake for about 40-45 min to have them be fully cooked. Most brownie recipes I've made have used a higher heat, so I may try that next time since this left the edges a bit burnt in order for the middle to cook enough.
The Magic Brownies were a hit at my office! The prep time was accurate, the recipe was easy and I did not have one problem. The whole pan of brownies was excellent, even the brownies from the edge of the pan. I'll definitely use this recipe again.
these were really yummy and i fear the rating from before is keeping others from trying these.. the instructions were perfect for me.. i even cut the butter in half!! and they still were sooo gooey and fudgy.. the only complaint was the outsides cooked a little faster and were a touch dry and the inside was still soo gooey.. almost like fudge! but i let them cool before cutting and they were gone in no time.. i've been to zingermans and they have very delicious things there but completely overpriced so this way you can make your own.. thanks so much for a super yummy brownie.. i hope the other rater will try them again and re rate them..