Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Delight Gluten Free Magazine, Summer 2009. Posted for ZWT5, Caribbean region.
- 6 ounces high-quality unsweetened chocolate bars
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup coconut oil or 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 cups black beans, rinsed well (canned)
- 1 cup agave nectar or 1 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (if avoiding coffee, sub in 1 teaspoon almond extract)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup coconut flour (found in health food section of grocery store) or 2⁄3 cup almond flour (found in health food section of grocery store)
- 3 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup walnut pieces (optional) or 1 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325*F, and grease a small (8x8 or 9x9) pan. Break up the unsweetened chocolate, and combine it with the fat (butter, coconut oil or shortening). Heat the mixture on low power in the microwave or in a double boiler, stirring often, until it's melted and combined.
- Meanwhile, put the black beans, agave, vanilla, espresso powder, and salt in a food processor. Add the chocolate mixture, and process 2-3 minutes - until the black beans are obliterated and the mixture is well-combined. Add almond flour (or coconut flour), flax meal, and baking soda. Process two minutes more. Fold in nuts & chocolate chips, if using.
- Pour the mixture into the greased baking pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes - until the top is set, but be careful about burning the edges. Allow to cool for at least an hour; otherwise, the brownies may be too gooey to slice.
- Store covered on the counter, or for a firmer brownie, in the refrigerator.
I followed the recipe using honey, omitting the coffee, and also added the 3 eggs as suggested by the previous reviewer. They turned out moist and delicious. I also calculated nutritional info using 16 servings (1 2-inch square was very satisfying) and included the coconut flour and sweetener, walnuts & chocolate chips, and got 306 calories, 19g fat, 32 g carb, 6 g fiber, 6.6 g protein per serving.
Wow! We love these brownies! I substituted 1/4 cup of carob powder for the chocolate bars. Added 3 eggs and omited the chocolate chips ,and these were delicious!