Recipe by MasonsMomma
This is a wonderful recipe from my Aunt Kathy, she makes it every year at Christmas, and I love to make it too! I usually make it in mini loaf pans.
Top Review by KCShell
Everyone in the family thought this was going to be like fruitcake. They moaned and groaned about it. Despite their squaking, I made it anyway! What a delightful bread! I followed the recipe to a T except that I did not add figs. It is fab right out of the oven and I know it will be even better in a day or two. I received apologies this afternoon as they devoured their slices. I made this in a Pampered Chef mini loaf pan with good results. Baked about 45 minutes. I bet this will become a new tradition around the holidays. Your Aunt Kathy is a genius! KCShell
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flaked coconut (I usually used the sweet kind)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fig
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream eggs, sugar and butter together.
- Add mashed bananas (I usually just put in a banana and a half in the mixer with the eggs/butter/sugar, and it gets mashed up pretty well).
- Add flour, soda and salt and mix.
- Add chopped figs.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (I usually just add them whole and the mixer kind of bashes them up to the right size, just don't overmix because you want some pieces to still be recognizable.).
- Pour in greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for an 1 1/4 hours.
- If using mini-loaf pans start checking after 45 minutes.
- Toothpick inserted should come out clean.