Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I threw this together instead of just diced tomatoes over pasta, and it was yummy enough that I'll make it again. It's not fancy, but it makes a great lunch that's even on the healthier side. Amounts are approximate, so go with whatever quantities are available, and it will still be delish, I promise.
- 2 cups whole wheat penne (or any kind you'd like)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced Italian tomatoes, not drained
- 12 1⁄2 ounces canned chicken, drained (or leftover shredded chicken breast)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Cook pasta as directed on package while working on the rest of the steps.
- Sautee garlic in olive oil in a medium sized pot until golden brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the garlic, mix well and stir occasionally until heated through.
- Once pasta is done, stir in the chicken/tomato mixture, and top with mozzarella if desired.
We used 1 3/4 C. Elbow noodles (it's what I had), no oil, added a 15 ounce can of tomato sauce, several dashes of red pepper flakes, halved the chicken (that's all I had), no salt (it was in the tomato sauce), no black pepper, added a generous tablespoon of Italian seasoning, and omitted the cheese. It was AWESOME. My husband thought it was great this way for summer, but thought that in the fall/winter it would be awesome just as is in a casserole with the cheese melted on top (like a baked ziti). Thanks for the inspiration!
We found this pretty bland. Added a can of spagetti sauce to kick up the flavour. Was much better.
I had some leftover chicken to use up so made this for lunch. I used Dreamfiled pasta and followed the rest of the recipe as written. I did add the optional cheese except I used an Italian blend as that is what I had on hand. This was a good, quick lunch.