Recipe by Maggie, Cooking
A fast and simple, fresh and healthy summertime (or anytime) snack or part of a meal. There is plenty of room for variation and experimentation, but just like this turned out pretty darn yummy. Low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese work just fine, too. Easily doubled, tripled, etc.
- 1 medium tomatoes
- 0 cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 14.79 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 29.58 ml fresh basil, chopped
- 59.14 ml cottage cheese (low-fat or non-fat are fine)
- 0.59 ml salt (or to taste)
- 0.59 ml black pepper (or to taste)
- 0.59 ml paprika (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Carefully cut out the middle of the tomato by cutting around the top in a circle and using a spoon to help detach at the bottom so that the tomato is basically hollow and without a top. **Do not discard removed portion.**.
- Use a spoon to remove any seeds remaining inside the tomato (so that the result is not too runny), and pour out any remaining liquid, then use a knife to remove any seeds attached to the removed portion, and then chop that portion into small pieces and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients except for the now hollow tomato, and spoon the mixture into the tomato. If served in a small bowl, it's fine if some overflows.
- If desired, garnish with small sprig of cilantro and another dash of black pepper (fresh ground is best) or a dash of paprika.