Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a close friend's recipe duplicating Fishmongers Shrimp Tortilla Soup. It is wonderful! Hot and Spicy! Prep time does not include peeling and deveining shrimp.
- 1 lb medium shrimp
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bunch scallion, finely chopped including green
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 -3 jalapenos, finely chopped (remove seeds & veins for less heat)
- 4 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil or 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- Peel and devein the shrimp and set aside (if they are large I cut into chunks.).
- In a small bowl, blend the paprika, cayenne, black pepper, oregano, salt, garlic & sugar. Set aside.
- Pour a small amount of oil into 4 quart Dutch oven or pot. Add the onions, cilantro and jalapeno. Sauté just until the onion is transparent, then stir in the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the spice mix and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato juice and water and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook 5 minutes or just until shrimp are done. Do not overcook.
- While soup is simmering, cut tortillas into strips and place on a pammed cookie sheet. Spray with olive oil; sprinkle with salt if desired. Bake at 350 for about 5 to 7 minutes. Watch closely so they don’t burn.
- To serve, place a layer of tortilla strips in the bottom of a shallow soup bowl. Ladle soup on top then garnish with cheese. Add a lime wedge on the side.