Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Shepherds pie with a bit of a kick!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sections chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup canned green beans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mesquite powder
- 3 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons goya adobo seasoning
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 5 tablespoons burgundy cooking wine
- 8 large potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- Boil potatoes in salted water approximately 20 min or until knife enters with ease. Drain, add butter, salt and pepper, and mix with electric mixer. Add sour cream and half and half, mix with electric mixer until smooth.
- Dissolve the bullion cube in the ½ cup water, and put a side.
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef, add the onion, garlic, pepper, adoba seasoning, mesquite and basil. Cook on medium-high heat until onion starts to turn clear, then add the remaining vegetables, simmer for a few minutes while adding the burgundy and the dissolved bullion cube. Simmer all together another 5 minutes or so while the oven comes to temp (350).
- In a 9x13 glass pan spread the meat mixture evenly, carefully spoon the mashed potatoes over the top making sure not to mix in the meat mixture while spreading it evenly over the top.
- Bake for about 20min or until bubbling, broil for an additional 5min if you want a slightly crunchy browned top.