Recipe by puppitypup
This is a wonderful Mexican flavored dish that will please everyone. My friend Maggie was quite a woman, so it gives me great honor to share her recipe with you. She raised 4 kids while working the farm, then late in life became a business woman. She also became the oldest president and the first female president of our local Rotary club. Maggie and her husband Vince were married almost 60 years when they passed away, just a few days apart. A romantic ending to a life filled with love.
Top Review by Cuistot
This was really quite good. My family wasn't ecstatic about it but everyone ate theirs ;) The flavors definitely get better over time. I think next time it needs a little more garlic and bacon.
- 5 lbs baby red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, for boiling
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, for cooked potatoes
- 6 pieces bacon
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 (4 ounce) canssliced black olives, drained
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (Best Foods or Hellmans)
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, to taste
- chili powder, sprinkled over top
Directions See How It's Made
- MAIN INGREDIENTS.
- Don't peel the potatoes. Place in large pot with 1 t kosher salt, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue cooking for 8 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, transfer to large bowl and cut into quarters. Salt before they cool. (If using regular table salt, use less.).
- Fry bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels and cool. Then tear into small pieces and add to cooked, quartered potatoes.
- Fry onion in bacon grease until translucent. Add onion AND bacon grease to bowl with potatoes and bacon. Don't leave out the bacon grease, it adds too much flavor!
- Add green onions, green chilies, olives and eggs to bowl.
- Mix remaining ingredients, except chili powder, in small bowl and pour over potatoes. Stir well. Sprinkle chili powder over top.
- Refrigerate for at least a few hours. Taste improves exponentially if made up 12-24 hours ahead of time.