Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from my future mother in law, and it is just amazing. Soooo easy that it now makes a regular weekday appearance. I recommend following the recipe to the letter, but have made an amendment to the glaze because I think it's too gritty if you don't heat the sugar and lemon juice before spreading it over the cake. Mmm...think I'll go make one of these now!
- 125 g softened butter, in small pieces
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (caster or regular)
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Mix all ingredients in a food processor for about 15 seconds.
- Then put it into a 20 cm tin and bake on 325F/170C for about 35 minutes. Mine is usually done by then, but the recipe says 45 minutes.
- Mix the juice of one lemon and 3 tbs sugar, then heat it in the microwave for about 20-40 seconds until the sugar is melted into the lemon juice.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then pour the lemon/sugar mix on top.
Wonderful! Light, lemony, easy to make... We loved it. The sugar for the lemon syrup isn't mentioned in the ingredients list, so I wasn't sure whether to hold back 3 tbsp or to measure out an extra dose of sugar - in the end, I measured out more, and it worked fine. Note that the juice of the lemon is also required, and not just the zest listed in the ingredients. Next time, I will use two lemons, because we're fond of them. This is an excellent cake. Reviewed for Pick A Chef, Fall 2007.